Not 100% of the time; while Invisalign® definitely has some advantages compared to metal braces, the Invisalign® system can’t address every type of alignment and occlusion issue, so it can’t be used in every patient. When it can be used, it offers sizable benefits compared to metal braces; for instance:
- The clear plastic aligners are virtually invisible while being worn.
- The aligners can be removed when eating and when brushing and flossing, so you don’t have to worry about the foods you’re eating and keeping your teeth and gums clean and healthy is much easier.
- The aligners have smooth edges, so they won’t poke you or irritate you.
- Aligners are custom-made for your mouth, so treatment can be faster compared to metal braces.
- Aligners fit over your teeth, so you don’t have the discomfort of metal bands between your teeth.
First, an impression will be made and sent to a lab, where a computer will scan it and design a series of virtual models that show how your teeth need to move to become straight. Then, a series of clear plastic aligners will be fabricated based on those models. Your aligners will be designed just for you to increase their effectiveness. Every two weeks or so, you’ll replace your current aligner with the next one in the sequence so your teeth continue to shift over time. You’ll also visit the office about every six weeks to make sure your treatment is progressing properly. Most patients complete treatment in under two years.
Most dental insurance plans do not cover the cost of Invisalign®. However, our office staff can introduce you to our insurance alternative solutions, help you make payment arrangements, or find financing that can make your treatment affordable for your budget.